Q: I have attended one of your sessions in Vancouver, and thought would write you for advice. I am hoping to further my education in communications. Specifically, I would like to obtain an MBA with a focus in communication. Are you aware of such a program either in the States or overseas? Thanks for your time. I would greatly appreciate your guidance!
A: Dear Theresa:
While I haven’t found a lot of examples of what you’re looking for, I do have a few recommendations from my friends in academia for communication degree programs with a heavy business focus. Here they are, some with more contact information:
- Royal Roads University offers Canada’s first MBA program with a specialty in Public Relations and Communications Management. Contact: Deborah Wickins, MBA Program Manager, Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC, Canada, 250.391.6308 or www.royalroads.ca/mba.
- Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan, has a bachelor’s in PR granted through the business school. See www.ferris.edu.
- The University of St. Thomas, in St. Paul, Minn., has a Masters in Business Communications program.
- Universitat Ramon Llull in Barcelona has an MBA focused on managing communication companies. In fact, this master is unique in Europe, but it is mainly focused on audiovisual companies rather than others. Web site: www.blanquerna.url.es. For further information: email@example.com.
- Syracuse University offers a Master in Communication Management. See: www.suce.syr.edu/ISDP, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel. 1-800-442-0501. Maria P. Russell, Academic Director: email@example.com
- Towson University has a new Master of Science in Communications Management. Mark McElreath says it’s better than an MBA because it is designed specifically for professional communicators. Call Mark McElreath at 410-830-3803 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Angela D. Sinickas